Sometimes, cats go off food. Dr. Justin Shmalberg, KatKin’s world-leading vet nutritionist, deep dives below.
If your cat isn’t eating any food at all
This could be a sign of illness - from a simple toothache to IBS. In this instance, it’s worth a trip to the vets. But don’t fret - the most common cause of lost appetite is stress or anxiety, often triggered by change (i.e. new people or pets in your house, construction, or moving). With time, your cat will adjust and return to eating.
If your cat is fussy with their food
This is simply down to cat preference. If your cat has gone off their fresh food, Dr. Justin recommends the following tricks to tempt them back:
- Heat it up - warming KatKin on a plate in the microwave for 15 seconds will make the food much more appealing to your cat.
- Change your recipes - your cat may take to a new recipe that previously they didn’t like. It’s worth mixing up your box with a new combination of our 7 recipes.
- Only serve KatKin - it’s up to you to assert that KatKin is here to stay. Serve only KatKin (and no other food) for two consecutive days. And don’t worry if your cat is reluctant - in the wild, cats exist in a natural state of hunting and fasting. They can live for up to 4 days with no food, no problem.
- Change where you feed - this can reset your cat’s relationship with what they are being fed. Just make sure to pick a location where they feel safe and comfortable!
We’re here to provide guidance or advice if your cat goes off their food. Call us on 01618504600 or email us on firstname.lastname@example.org to speak to one of our cat experts!
The benefits of fresh food are transformational
80% of cat parents reported a happier and more playful cat after feeding KatKin. Why? The answer is simple. Cats are carnivores, and that means protein is a much more efficient source of energy for them than carbohydrates. KatKin is 95% real meat, whereas most cat foods are less than 40% meat and rely on carbohydrates to fill them out. That means your cat will be able to convert KatKin into playful, hunting, fun loving fuel far easier than with your average cat food.
Other benefits your cat will feel
- Month 1 - Better digestion and less mess in the box
- Month 2 - More energy and playfulness
- Month 3 - Shinier, thicker coats and less hairballs
- Month 4 - Long term weight management